The BBC has released details about the March release of the Doctor Who missing serial The Faceless Ones.
The story will be released on DVD, Blu-Ray and SteelBook on 16th March 2020 and is now available to pre-order now from Amazon.
The Faceless Ones is the mostly missing eighth serial of the fourth season of Doctor Who, which was first broadcast in six weekly parts from April to May 1967. Starring Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, the story concerns a sinister race of identity-stealing aliens known as the Chameleons.
Only two of the six episodes are held in the BBC film archives with snippets of footage and still images existing from the other four. Fortunately, off-air recordings of the soundtrack also still exist, making the animation of a complete serial possible once again.
The six new animated episodes are being made in full colour and high definition and will include the following exclusive special features:
- Photographic reconstruction of the story, including surviving footage of episodes 1 & 3
- Audio commentary on episodes 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- ‘Making of the animated series’
- Camera script PDF’s
- Surviving film fragments from the story
- x5 ‘Easter Egg’ surprises
- Coming Soon Fury from the Deep trailer